Optimistically Cautious

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Bastardization of English

I find it fascinating when words from popular culture transcend everyday speech and are officially canonized onto the pages of a reference manual - the most memorable example being "Google" in recent years (I'll follow the Oxford English Dictionary-acceptable capitalized version).

To my surprise, I read about the reverse today - an academic institution in the U.S. that releases an annual list of words and phrases they wish to ban from the English language. Since 1976, a committee based out of Lake Superior State University sorts through thousands of nominations every year and whittles it down to a handful of words that they believe should disappear from the lexicon all together.

My "favorites": combined celebrity names (TomKat be gone!), "pwn" (which, until today, I did not know had its genesis in World of Warcraft, though I should have guessed), and "went missing" (from the article: "'It makes 'missing' sound like a place you can visit, such as the Poconos. Is the person missing, or not?' asked Robin Dennis of Texas." Too true). I was, however, surprised to see Stephen Colbert's "truthiness" on the list - perhaps the academics veer to the right?

Full article here.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's BS. "pwn" has been around a heck of a lot longer than WoW. I remember using it back when we were playing TFC, and I am sure it was used before that too.

January 3, 2007 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hm. The first article I read about this list, printed in The Globe & Mail, stated the origin as such. Can't find the link to it though.

January 3, 2007 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger andymaniac said...

Oh, so technical! You know what word they should get rid of..."duvet"..I hate that word...it sounds...blah!

January 3, 2007 at 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home