Optimistically Cautious

Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Cooking Chronicles: Green Onion Cakes

After many trips to the supermarket shopping for recipe ingredients not readily found in my house, I am beginning to appreciate instructions that don't call for anything unavailable in my pantry and fridge on a typical day. So on a lazy Sunday, I decided to duplicate Martin Yan's Green Onion Cakes.

Yan, a popular Asian American chef whose show airs sporadically on PBS, can be considered the Chinese equivalent of Emeril Lagasse. Entertaining, enthusiastic, and always energetic, Yan has unquestionable knowledge about Chinese cuisine. Though I admit to rolling my eyes when I watched him growing up, with the new perspective garnered from the experiences I've had in the kitchen thus far, I have to say he does know what he's talking about (my Mum has commented that Yan's cooking does pander somewhat to the greater Western audience he serves now, however).

This wasn't my first try at creating these appetizers - I'd made them with May quite a while ago, albeit with a different recipe. Nothing against Yan, but his method didn't allow for as many layers as the previous recipe encouraged, and thus, my cakes lacked the desired flakiness. On the other hand, it was my mistake in adding too much pepper but not enough salt, and not rolling each cake thin enough (resulting in half-cooked, but nearly burnt products). Still, I'll have to figure out why the individual cakes didn't fry evenly - I'm sure it has something to do with the oil.

The cakes were edible at the end of the day, but I will be hunting down the first recipe for a second go.

Green Onion Cakes

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Vitality said...

I like Yan Can! Do you remember that other cook, Stephen Yan? I used to watch him on CBC. He was good too!

May 10, 2007 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hm, no I don't remember Stephen Yan. Do they still air his show on tv?

May 13, 2007 at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home