Optimistically Cautious

Monday, May 07, 2007

Lights Out in Stars Hollow

CW announced on Thursday that Gilmore Girls will not be renewed. From Variety:

"Money was a key factor in the decision, with the parties involved not able to reach a deal on salaries for the main cast members. Other issues, such as number of episodes and production dates, may have also played a role."

Though I was skeptical that the quality of the show could be maintained without creators Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino at the helm, the current season has proven me wrong. The last two episodes in particular have been great - kudos to David Rosenthal for Rory's struggle upon graduation, and for Lorelai's heartbreaking serenade to her unrequited love.

For those who don't watch serial dramas, it really is difficult to understand how much impact a show can have. As sad as it may seem, appointment television really can grow with a person over the course of seven years. I was in high school when I first started watching Gilmore Girls regularly, and since then, I have "matured" right alongside Rory. While I can't say I could relate to everything the characters went through, there were many moments of felt kinship. Other things will come along to fill the entertainment void, but like West Wing and Ed, my attachment to the show is very much associated to the time in my life when I watched it.

The series finale airs on May 15.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This makes me happy! Adios GG!

May 8, 2007 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Mean.

May 8, 2007 at 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you Sharon. I'm not a huge fan of ALexis Bledel, but I've been enjoying the story for a long while now.

It's always made me wish that my relationship with my mother was that...fun. And, at the very least, not so antagonistic.

I do, however, think that all good things must come to an end, much like 7th Heaven.

May 11, 2007 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Parsons said...

Wednesday morning before we do anything at work - we will sit around the table - pretend we are reading the newspaper for "our employers sake" and we will talk about whether they ended the show we wanted it to.

Everyone is in the town park recreating Rory's graduation when it turns into an impromptu wedding for Luke and Lorelai. Rory cannot be the one who gets married.

PLUS - the grandmother better tell Lorelai that she is proud of her - the grandfather somewhat did it in the last episode.

Oh yeah - first comment to your site! Im suppose to ask you about a restaurant but the name escapes me - remind me at work and Ill make a phone call to the person who wants to know.

May 12, 2007 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I hope you're not saying that "7th Heaven" is a "good thing"! (I'm still bitter over CW's cancellation of "Everwood" in favor of "7th Heaven".)

I'm hoping for an L/L reconciliation too, Doug (and based on the preview, I think that will happen!).

May 13, 2007 at 7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed 7th heaven, and could never get into Everwood, so I don't feel your bitterness.

I posted about it briefly this morning. I liked it.

May 14, 2007 at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home