Optimistically Cautious

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Ripped Off and Ticked Off: Wok Box

After a valid but ultimately failed attempt at catching a play at the Arts Alive! Festival in the afternoon (there's always next year), Mack and I killed time in the downtown core, and ended up at Wok Box (10119 Jasper Avenue) for dinner.

I've been to the franchised takeout restaurant twice before, and after finding the fare extremely overpriced, I vowed not to return unless equipped with a coupon. Luckily, I just purchased an Entertainment Book containing a Wok Box coupon, so with a 2-for-1 mentality in mind, we saddled up to the counter to order.

But rebuffed, we were. The employee mentioned something about the store not being consulted before the address was printed on the back of the coupon, and couldn't accept it. Because we had a show to get to in less than an hour, Mack and I sucked it up and ordered the teriyaki chicken stir fry and butter chicken (Violet's recommendation). The bill was over $21.

Thankfully, our wait wasn't too long (unlike my other experiences), and though the novelty of eating out of a "Chinese" take-out box still tickles me somewhat, I recognize the inflated cost of fanciful packaging. In the end, my butter chicken was all right (the sauce was rich and tasted great with the rice), but without a side of vegetables, was a fairly dense meal, and was not worth what we paid for it.

Take-out boxes are cute, but cannot make-up for the restaurant's small portions and mistaken advertising. I'd choose a Chinatown establishment over Wok Box any day.

Mack "smiles" with his Wok Box order

Teriyaki chicken, butter chicken and "naan bread" (looking pretty unappetizing)

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why aren't these photos on Flickr?!

and in the third paragraph, I think you mean "accept", not "except".

October 3, 2007 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Always policing grammar, aren't you? But thanks.

None of my "restaurant review" pictures are on Flickr yet...I'll get there someday :).

October 3, 2007 at 11:00 PM  
Blogger Vitality said...

The butter chicken was good but you're right about not having veggies with it. I saw them put the bread in a toaster and one time the girl burnt it and still served it. Sorry to hear it wasn't the greatest meal. They do give you lots of food though!

October 8, 2007 at 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home