Optimistically Cautious

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Whimsical Cake Studio

I posted in June about the opening of a storefront Whimsical Cupcakes (14910 45 Avenue), as it has finally gained enough popularity from its appearances at local farmer's markets to sustain year round operations. Though I have been itching to visit the bakery since reading about it, I hadn't had a chance to until today.

On a gloomy Saturday, my Mum and I finally stumbled upon it, sandwiched between a tanning salon and a convenience store, in a Terwilligar Heights strip mall. Ailynn Santos, proud owner and operator, greeted us immediately upon our entry. The interior was very clean, modest, and though not nearly as pink as Cupcakes in Vancouver, the cheery checkered floor and floral wallpaper was cute without being overdone.

As I perused the flavours available, I made conversation with Ailynn, where she mentioned that she will be one of the vendors at next week's Christmas on the Square. I also ended up telling her about my upcoming trip to New York (and what will be an inevitable stop at Magnolia Bakery). She proceeded to say that she actually preferred Billy's Bakery (also a favorite of the pre-brainwashed Katie Holmes), so perhaps I will have to swing by if I'm in the neighbourhood.

I settled on a box of half a dozen to be able to share with my family, calling the New Yorker at Heart (chocolate mocha swirled with a rich coffee butter cream and a chocolate covered espresso bean) for my own. I was actually disappointed with this particular flavour - the cake itself was bland (something I'm finding as nearly a given with from-scratch batter), while the coffee taste in the frosting was negligible. The espresso bean was a nice touch, but it wasn't enough to save the cupcake.

My Mum wondered why Whimsical chose such an off-the-beaten path location for their store, and my thought was - for those who love cupcakes, distance and hassle will not be obstacles. I'm not sure I love their cupcakes that much, but should a special occasion arise, I may indeed be back.

At last!


Cupcakes galore


Too cute onesies


Our box

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home