Optimistically Cautious

Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Cooking Chronicles: Mimosa Eggs

Despite getting a few requests to make my salad rolls again (who knew they were such a hit?), I wanted to take the latest potluck opportunity at work to test out a new recipe.

I thought Laura Calder's Mimosa Eggs would make a good candidate for portable, made-in-advance food, so I gave it a shot (turns out, only portable as long as a seat on the bus, without a brake-happy driver, is secured).

I've been learning my egg boiling lessons, albeit slowly. The first time, a few weeks back, I ended up with a watery, still-uncooked egg, essentially poached in its own shell. The second time, I left them in the hot water too long, and the yolks turned that unattractive musty grey shade.

This time, I didn't quite get it Goldilocks (just right), but I came pretty close. I used shallots instead of the green onion, and a little less mayo than called for (I wanted the solid yolk to still have some crumble in each bite). It's really a pretty easy recipe that would make a great cocktail party hors d'oeuvre, beautifully yellow on a plate, nicely accented with the vibrant red pinch of paprika. They're nothing special, but are satisfyingly filling in two bites or less.

Mimosa Eggs

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't get it. Aren't these just devilled eggs?

March 6, 2008 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Yes. The show that this recipe comes from, "French Food at Home", just gave it a fancier name, I think.

March 6, 2008 at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home