Optimistically Cautious

Monday, November 27, 2006

Dinner & a Movie: 4th and Vine

Following Superskills last night, my friend and I went to 4th and Vine (11358-104 Avenue) for supper. I read about the restaurant in Vue Weekly a few months ago, and was particularly drawn to their weekly "dinner & a movie" event. That Sunday, both An Inconvenient Truth and Who Killed the Electric Car? were featured, but we elected to sit for the second movie, as we had already watched the first.

The lengthy, rectangular-shaped dining room was an interesting design, one not often seen in Edmonton. Instead, it reminded me of space conscious restaurants in Toronto. The high-back, black leather chairs and dark mahogany tables, accentuated by the glow from nearby lamps, oozed an air of sophistication not unlike that from a pristine, upscale furniture showroom. Furthermore, it seemed as if these events had been offered long enough to warrant the purchase of a ceiling-mounted projector and pull-down screen located at the far end of the room.

As anticipated, 4th and Vine had an extensive wine and spirits list, complete with suggested entree wine pairings. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the imbibing mood, but my friend did have a Stella. Their food menu, on the other hand, was sparse in comparison. However, it seems the focus on few dishes was to their advantage.

I ordered the chicken breast (pan-flashed chicken breast basted in their signature garlic hazelnut butter, served with daily starch and seasonal vegetables), while my friend decided on the penne jambalaya (spicy Italian sausage, chicken breast, and prawns sauteed with bell peppers and red onion in a zesty sun-dried tomato sauce). Though the serving was not as generous as I had hoped, it more than made up for size with flavor. The signature butter was superb, with the hazlenuts providing great texture and crunch, and complemented the tender, juicy chicken well. I also have a weak spot for grilled vegetables, so I was happy to see them on my plate. My friend commented that his pasta was "hotter than Gore's anger over global warming, but not hotter than Gore's anger over losing to Bush."

We split a chocolate mousse for dessert (hurrah for coupons!). Gosh, was the aftertaste ever potent. There was no mention of liqueur used in the mousse, but after several spoonfuls, I had to cry for water. Needless to say, I did not finish dessert that night.

We finished dinner right on time to focus on the Electric Car. Thanking our lucky stars, we had access to the best spot in the house, as the patrons who had originally reserved the COUCH didn't show. I'm still tickled by the experience of watching a movie in a public restaurant from the comfort of a couch. Moreover, the kitchen even delivered a free bowl of "gourmet" popcorn (air-popped, slightly burnt kernels drizzled with garlic butter) to each table!

With great food and a novel concept, I must say I was quite enamored with 4th and Vine, and will be back in the not too distant future.

Restaurant interior

Penne jambalaya (pictures are blurry because I didn't want the flash to distract patrons from the movie)

Chicken breast

Movie screen

Couch!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I heard of this mysterious blog in the lunchroom today. I thought I would play the part of the sleuth and try to find it.

As you can see here, I succeeded. I'm encouraged by your dining experience and am now planning to take the man friend for a cinematic experience combined with food. I don't know how he will be able to refuse.

April 3, 2007 at 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home