Optimistically Cautious

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Soia & Kyo's "Chelsea" coat

In the last month or so, I have been on the hunt for a wool coat. In hindsight, I should not have passed on an exquisite grey number sold at Banana Republic last year, as I've been looking for a replica ever since.

I'm not sure why I really only have one cold-appropriate coat, as the length of Alberta winters can easily excuse further diversity in this wardrobe area. Edmonton summers are abbreviated at best, and yet, I have at least five warm-weather jackets.

On Saturday, I wandered into Etzio on Whyte Avenue, and was immediately drawn to the black "Chelsea" by Soia & Kyo - a knee-length coat featuring an asymmetrical, full-length, two-way zipper and belted waist. The major selling point for me though was the collar, which can be worn in two ways: with an open neck (scarf optional) for dressier occasions, or completely zipped and buckled for more warmth. On the downside, the material is only 80% wool, so it isn't as warm as it could be.

Since buying the non-refundable coat, I've been looking into the brand, which was unknown to me before yesterday. It turns out Montreal-based Soia & Kyo seem to be a darling of the Canadian fashion community. Only five years young, they have built a reputation for offering stylish, "affordable" outerwear. Their collection is created by the same person who designs for Mackage, a higher-end line sold by the likes of Holt Renfrew.

I'm also not immune to sales pitches, which I am aware are as genuine as the flattery found in fitting rooms. The sales clerk at Etzio said that the coats were flying off the racks, and had been received barely a week prior. Coupled with the fact that I am "supporting a Canadian company," I can put together quite a strong argument for this purchase.

Or, I can admit that all of this was merely posturing to justify an incredibly pricey buy.

"Chelsea" coat (in espresso/black; the site did not have an image of the black-only coat)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home