Optimistically Cautious

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Charmingly Urban: Blue Plate Diner

I mention Blue Plate Diner (10145-104 Street) so often that you'd think I'd eat there more frequently, so I was more than happy to return on Friday night for dinner with Mack.

Just stepping into the restaurant makes me happy. Located in the warehouse district, the dining room retains some of the original brick, adorned with contemporary art, and accented with aged windows utilized as table dividers. I love the ambiance in the evenings, with swoony '50s music, the natural buzz of conversation, and dim, candlelit tables.

The menu isn't anything spectacular, but it's like my favorite sweater - comfortable and good for all occasions. Something unique that they do offer is their Friday night dinner specials, with two featured dishes every week (and yes, it does remind me of dinner at the Gilmore residence). I ordered one of the two specials, a winter vegetable pie served with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables. Mack chose the beef burger and regular fries.

I forgot my camera (the photos below are from their website), so you'll have to bear with text, but the pie was huge! Baked in a large dish and topped off with a puff pastry crust, it was teeming with carrots, mushrooms, and fennel root (to me, tasted like a cross between celery and onions). It was a satisfying dish that wasn't too heavy, and a great choice on a cold night. Mack's said his from-scratch fries were good, and polished off his burger in no time!

Needless to say, I'll be back!

Ambiance

Table for two

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home