Optimistically Cautious

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Western Sensibilities: Thanh Thanh Oriental Noodle House

After the ceremony, Janice and I accompanied May and her family for lunch. We decided on Thanh Thanh (10718-101 Street), a newly renovated Vietnamese restaurant at Janice's suggestion.

Just outside of Chinatown, Thanh Thanh offers free parking, always a plus for eateries in the downtown core. The decor is impressively chic - tile floors, brown suede banquets, simple black tables, mirrors to create the illusion of space, and a clean tank filled with blood parrots. While this was my first time at the restaurant, I'm certain the changes have much improved the dining space.

I was surprised at how busy the place was, at noon on a random Saturday. By the time we left over an hour later, there was actually a wait for tables. We ordered a few dishes to share, including hot and sour soup, cashew chicken, beef, chicken and vegetable chow fun, and a sizzling beef and mushroom plate.

The food arrived in no time. Hot, fresh, and of reasonable quality, I was very happy with my experience. I'll be certain to try their pho in the future.

With large portions and fast service, I can see why Thanh Thanh has become a lunch and dinner destination for those in the know.

Blood Parrots!

Restaurant interior

Hot & Sour Soup

Cashew Chicken

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home