Optimistically Cautious

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Random Weekend Notes

  • Millwoods finally has its first stand-alone Starbucks (2331-66 Street)! Though "finally" is a misnomer in this case, as its been in operation since August of last year. I guess I just haven't paid enough attention when passing by the south side of the Mill Woods Town Centre complex. Anyway, to help ease the pain of phonetic transcription exercises this morning (I naively thought my days facing the evil schwa were over), I bought myself a vanilla cupcake. I must say it wasn't bad - moist, and topped off with creamy, buttery icing, I even pardoned the oily paper cup as a byproduct of forced freshness. So at $1.95, and more accessible than the few and far between specialty cupcake shops, it's a worthwhile indulgence.

Vanilla cupcake, coffee, and homework

  • Speaking of Starbucks, Mack told me about a novel documentary called Starbucking that will be out on DVD in April. The movie focuses on why a man has made it his personal mission to visit every Starbucks in the world.
  • Yesterday afternoon, I decided to make like my coworker Anna and walk home after a seminar at the Grey Nuns Hospital (if you were wondering, as I was, Youville Drive, the street the hospital is on, is named after St. Marguerite d'Youville, the first native Canadian to be elevated to sainthood). It was one of those perfect pre-spring winter days with sunshine, fresh, cool air, and active, visible wildlife. The trek was a modest 45 minutes, and particularly after a meandering stint in the Mill Creek Ravine (I wish I had my camera!), made me wonder why I don't do this more often. Like withdrawn new year's resolutions, the answer to that is simple of course, but I hope to be more "active" as the weather shifts, and perhaps blogging this will make me more accountable for such grand visions.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Vitality said...

I think the cupcake looks better than it tastes :)

March 5, 2007 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hehee, that's not your bias coming through is it, Violet? :)

Actually, it really wasn't bad for a "preserved" cupcake! Try it on one of your sweet tooth days!

March 5, 2007 at 11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes are good. Very good. But the gourmet variety are far better.

March 6, 2007 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Vitality said...

Can they serve cupcakes without the frosting? Just as they should sell Oreo cookies without the 'white stuff'!

March 6, 2007 at 10:58 PM  
Blogger andymaniac said...

Ok. Huff puff.

I read too fast and I thought you WALKED from Downtown to get back to your place in 45 minutes.

I was like 's**t'...seriously! Hehe..

Glad you are getting into the active spirit. Wanna come walk my dog?

Please?

March 7, 2007 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

A cupcake isn't a cupcake without the icing! It'd end up being a very sweet muffin.

I like walking, Annie, not being pulled by your over-enthusiastic dog :).

March 7, 2007 at 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home