Optimistically Cautious

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

"Solo Mish": Blue Plate Diner

I watch movies alone at the theatre once in a while, and have been doing so for as long as I can remember (sad but true fact: there was a period where Bridget Jones was probably as much of a friend as anyone I knew in person). Inspired by an episode of Sex and the City where Carrie has lunch on her own at a sidewalk café, I wanted to get over the fear of eating alone at a restaurant.

So tonight, before attending a speaking event, I headed to the Blue Plate Diner for the ultimate in comfort food - meatloaf.

Walking in, I found it incredibly empowering just uttering the words "for one, please." While I admit this could very well be one of my disillusioned soapbox moments, I could appreciate the feeling of freedom that comes with not having to dine with another, or select the always inspiring food court alternative. The hostess discriminatingly sat me against a wall (as opposed to a window), I'm sure to discourage the thought from pedestrians passing by that Blue Plate was the sterling choice for loners and workaholics. In that vein, I did haul out some writing to do, so in a sense masked my solo meal in a cloud of acceptable busyness. Perhaps that is my next step - to do as Carrie did and not hide behind books or stacks of paper.

As for the food, I've had the Herbed Meatloaf enough times to know what to expect - the best grilled vegetables in the city (maybe it's the charcoal?), homemade mashed potatoes, and a hearty slice of ground beef heaven. I know I've complained in the past about the tomato sauce smothered on top, but I've come to like it as a sweet additive to the dish along the lines of last week's Chicken Cannoli at Moxie's.

So I can now cross off "eat at a restaurant alone" from my list of 43 Things. Hurrah!

Restaurant interior

The eternally cute "Drinking Jar"

Herbed Meatloaf with Grilled Vegetables and Mashed Potatoes

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger andymaniac said...

If you want to eat alone, try Chanti's. I did that when I got on my X'mas break...it was exhilarating...eating whatever you want and then enjoy sitting for how long you liked (I did get tired of sitting after a while) and then...X'mas shopping at Whyte Ave. It was great :)

March 10, 2007 at 9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't eat alone. I get fidgety and start to play with my phone. Kudos to you for being brave enough to try.

March 11, 2007 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I remember a coworker eating at Chianti's alone many years ago - it was probably the first time I'd seen someone I knew by himself at a restaurant. I thought he was brave at the time too.

And Megan - I did some writing while eating; had it been a sidewalk cafe, perhaps people watching would have kept me busy, but I think I'm like you, always needing something to pay attention to.

March 12, 2007 at 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home