Optimistically Cautious

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

"Prison Break": Season 2 Review

Based on my excitement early on in the season, I don't think the rest of the episodes this year fulfilled the expectations that I had built up. I don't know if I like the fact that Michael ended up, full-circle of sorts, back in prison. Nor am I sure about the descent into science fiction or X-Files territory as Megan said (if that's what the white-light was supposed to allude to). And poor Kellerman...it took a while for me to believe that his 180 degree turn was genuine, but Paul Adelstein really sold the performance at the end.

Even more disappointing, TPTB at FOX decided to renew the show for a third season. It's really hard to take the show seriously now when it is common knowledge that Prison Break was conceived as a 44-episode run - all subsequent material is a stretch. Though I guess I really won't be able to judge the quality until it airs, and the creator, Paul T. Scheuring, is right to some extent about how networks tend to commodify successes, and I'm sure he will do the best that he can with the opportunity he has been given (from a recent panel interview - scroll down to 8:51pm).

The long wait until the fall begins...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like the fact that it got renewed either, but really, at least the last two episodes of this season have already strayed from whatever the original plan was! We've been headed into "deviate from original script" territory for a long time.

April 5, 2007 at 1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I replied on my blog. Can I link to you??

April 5, 2007 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

We'll keep my comments here, thanks :).

It may have started to deviate, but it shouldn't have, and that's the point. I wanted to say that most of the characters aren't even in prison anymore, but wait, they are. Back to square one, with science experimentation thrown in.

April 5, 2007 at 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with ya on that one. Seriously, the FIRST thought I had with the research facility was "Holy crap?! Where's Mulder?"

Apparently Paul Scheuring had mapped out five seasons of 22-23 episodes with the hopes that he'd have the opportunity to create. Also, apparently he had an 'alternate' ending for the last couple episodes in case things didn't get renewed. Although this ending would have been pretty badass if the series was over...

April 5, 2007 at 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home