Optimistically Cautious

Saturday, November 24, 2007

"Sex and the City", Complete

I recently completed my DVD collection of Sex and the City, at just $19.99 a pop for the seasons I was missing. In most cases, it is cheaper to wait for the release of the series collection (Costco had the complete West Wing on sale for just under $200), but that wasn't the case for the chronicles of Carrie and company.

I actually did not become a full-fledged fan of the show until it was already into its last season. While I've managed to catch most of the back episodes in syndication, I can't say the "safe for non-cable television" versions are quite the same as the HBO uncensored variety. Though understandably changed to reflect more tasteful language and image restrictions, the amount of content that needs to be cut from a 29 minute episode to fit into a 22 minute format is substantial. If anything, the full versions allow me to appreciate the show more - in its extended character development, humor, and of course, envelope-pushing subject matter.

Given the amazing official website, with detailed episode summaries, fashion guides, and a newly added map plotting memorable Manhattan locations, one would think some of that information could have migrated into the DVD sets. Between cheap plastic cases and a lack of accompanying paper guides with episode listings, I am disappointed HBO didn't put more thought into the design of the poorly packaged products.

Though the extras are also sparse, I did enjoy listening to the commentary provided by Michael Patrick King. It is evident, however, that he is completely biased towards Sarah Jessica Parker - he adores her so much I wouldn't be surprised if his close connection with her was what sabotaged an SaTC movie immediately after the show's finale. It was rumored that Kim Catrall had wanted more prominence on the show, but with the production stranglehold held by King and Parker, that would have never happened.

After watching the evolution of the show from start to finish, I now fully understand the appeal of Mr. Big. Chris Noth does a fantastic job (he simply exudes charm) but with his abrupt shifts at the end of Season 1 and mid-way through Season 2, I think the writers committed convenient character assassinations for the sole purpose of complicating Carrie's life. Season 2's "La Douleur Exquise!" was lovely though, melancholic in a cloud of bittersweet sadness, while Big's friendly departure for Napa in Season 4 was quintessential New York romance - scored, of course, by Mancini's "Moon River".

We're planning on going on the Sex and the City tour while in New York (fingers crossed), and I am certain it will be just as surreal as I imagine it to be.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

goooo eskimos. one hour till grey cup

November 25, 2007 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

An amazing number of celebrities comment on my blog, eh?

November 25, 2007 at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home