Optimistically Cautious

Friday, February 01, 2008

Film: "27 Dresses"

I took in a matinee of 27 Dresses on my day off, a romantic comedy starring Katherine Heigl I've been meaning to see for a while.

I doubt I'll change any minds with this mini-review, as one is typically either pre-disposed to like these types of movies or not, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Between Heigl's girl-next-door quality and understated beauty and James Marsden's boyish good looks and disarming charm, I couldn't take my eyes off of the pair. A good amount of chemistry didn't hinder the duo's screen time together either.

While I do agree with critics who see the resemblance of 27 Dresses and The Wedding Planner, I think the former is much more satisfying. Heigl broke my heart as she went through the motions as her sister went after her unrequited love, so by the end of the tried-and-true plot formula, I really was cheering for her. Besides, who could resist a montage of hideous (but fun) bridesmaid dresses?

Not for those looking for a deep, introspective film experience, 27 Dresses is nonetheless a harmless bit of romantic fluff if you're in the mood for it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home