Optimistically Cautious

Friday, March 07, 2008

Little Italy: Worth the Trip

I've been meaning to make my way to Little Italy for quite a while now, but haven't taken the time out of my day to go until this afternoon. Without a car, and ignoring the pedestrian option, I ended up taking the always interesting #5 bus (and the definition of "interesting" is very apparent if you've ever been on this route).

First up was Zocalo (10826 95 Street), a flower and gift shop. I was curious to see if it would measure up to its enticing advertisements. It does - I was greeted by cheerful gerberas placed outside the door, and a bright and fun interior. Zocalo offers beautiful flower arrangements, unique ceramics and glassware, and kitchen items that would freshen up any decor. I may be back for the hydrangeas I spied in the cooler, to spruce up my living room when I throw a dessert party in the spring.

Zocalo interior

The next block was vibrant with activity - a branch of Sorrentino's, a cozy cafe in Tra Amici, and of course, the "flagship" Italian Centre (10878 95 Street). I've been to the southside location countless times, but this was my first visit to the downtown purveyor of Italian imports and fine cheeses and meats. While not as geographically convenient for me, I will have to say that I prefer this location - something about the diversity of the patrons, the inherent bustle created by narrow aisles, and a deli counter that literally spans the entire back-end of the store allows for the cultivation of a more authentically urban shopping experience.

Little Italy begs for another trek very soon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home