Optimistically Cautious

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Ricky's All Day Grill

Two friends and I visited the Ricky's All Day Grill in Edmonton City Centre Mall (10200 102 Avenue) before heading out to see a play on Saturday night. With four locations in the city and another on the way, it's surprising that none of us had eaten there before.

The restaurant is brightly lit, with funky multicolored light fixtures on the ceiling and 50's-inspired art on the walls (perhaps harking back to the safety, security, and family values of times past?). The menu features breakfast items (pancakes, waffles, and omlettes, ohmy!) served daily until 4pm. As someone who has a penchant to sleep in, I can say that I will be back one afternoon for brunch.

I ordered the vegetarian teriyaki bowl (stir-fried veggies with teriyaki over oriental noodles). City counselors are always encouraging for the growth and development of facilities in the downtown district, and really, for suburbanites to stay or play downtown after hours, the service and selection must be superb so people will overlook parking complications and other difficulties. Know too that although I am a great advocate of the downtown experience, if I am allowed to use this one occasion at Ricky's as an example of what the core has to offer, I am certain no one will be flocking to the area anytime soon. Not only was the waiter slow at taking our drink and dinner orders, but the kitchen also got my order wrong (they included chicken in my dish).

Sure, the portion was a decent size, and there was a fair balance between the noodles and stir-fry, but our dinner was rushed and thus rather unpleasant because of the poor service.

When I do try Ricky's again, I will be heading to one of the other locations.

50's-inspired art

Teriyaki bowl

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree on the food being disappointing but I do like the aesthetics!

November 5, 2006 at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home