Optimistically Cautious

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Real men make quiche, too

It seems that I am on a baked egg kick. On the heels of my frittata experiment last month, I enlisted the help of a friend and his spacious kitchen (in that order, of course) to test out a Better Homes and Gardens quiche recipe.

We opted to use frozen pie shells (why make from scratch what can be purchased "off the shelf?") and chose smoked turkey breast as our filling ingredient. Like frittatas, "mix then bake" was the order of the day. Everything on the recipe was straightforward, even though we did prematurely combine the cheese and the flour with the wet mixture. Honestly, the most difficult part was waiting for the quiche to cook; nearly fifty minutes passed until we decided the egg had set enough to eat.

A photo of the finished product is below; it's safe to say I'm pretty proud of our creation! We paired the quiche with a simple romaine salad (it seems that grape tomatoes taste infinitely better when you know the pint cost $4), but I think a vegetable or tomato soup would have worked just as well as a side. Next time, I would also consider adding a layer of cheese on top of the quiche before baking for extra flavor and texture.

Needless to say, I can now add quiche to my growing repertoire of cookery.

Quiche x 2

Plated and ready to eat! (Disclaimer for foodies: we knew white would have been the more appropriate wine pairing, but we only had red on hand...)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was fun :) Check out the episode I made!

Photo Story 1: Making a Quiche

November 17, 2006 at 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home