Optimistically Cautious

Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Cooking Chronicles: Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing

Given all my harping about cupcakes, it's a surprise that I haven't yet tackled the challenge of making them myself. So tonight, I attempted Ina Garten's recipe of Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing.

It was certainly the most prep-intensive recipe to date. Between ensuring that the eggs, butter, and sour cream were at room temperature, remembering to brew the coffee, and letting the buttermilk mixture stand, I definitely exceeded the time guidelines listed on the recipe. Moreover, though I dislike using an electric mixer (I'm strangely traditional that way), I thought I'd experiment with my Mum's KitchenAid mixer this time. It wasn't as complicated as I had expected, but I did cop out near the end and chose to hand-incorporate the buttermilk and flour mixtures.

I also used Ina's method of ice-cream scooping the cupcake batter into the baking cups, but boy, do I need a better scoop in the future; I think gravity was a more effective helper than the lift button itself.

As for the icing - it is without a doubt the star of the show. I'm known for eating spoonfuls of peanut butter out of the jar, but with the fluffy sweetness of the peanut butter icing, I'm liable to take the bowl and run. I highly recommend this recipe for anyone with frosting-related needs.

The 'cakes themselves rose nicely, and frosted with icing and topped with chopped peanuts, look absolutely delectable. I'm not sure if I'd go through with making the cake batter from scratch again, as it was time consuming without much difference in taste when compared with the Betty Crocker/Duncan Hines variety, but the icing gets two big thumbs up from me.

Think anyone will buy my creations for $2.50 a pop?

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Vitality said...

The cupcakes look great :) I'm sure they tasted yummy. My nephew calls my niece Barefoot Vanessa ... what should I call you?

March 20, 2007 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Thanks. But as for a nickname, I don't think I've reached the skill level necessary for that :).

March 20, 2007 at 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home