Optimistically Cautious

Friday, May 25, 2007

Art Gallery of Alberta: China Sensation

One of the city's best kept secrets is the Art Gallery of Alberta's free admission on Thursday evenings from 4-8pm. So on Thursday I headed to the temporary gallery location (100, 10230 Jasper Avenue) with a few friends to view the current exhibits.

As the Enterprise Square space is merely provisional, I wasn't expecting much. As it turns out, with expansive white walls and bright spot lighting, it is a definite improvement upon the dingy, dark halls of the previous building.

I was especially interested in the pictures that were a part of the China Sensation display, as I had read some of the media coverage surrounding these "cutting edge" works. Though I can't say I understood most (okay, almost all) of the pieces, it was definitely interesting to be exposed to Chinese art that was anything but landscapes and flowers. Between the flamingo-human hybrids, cannibalistic pigs, and neon portrayals of child pest slayers, it was quite the barrage of images. I had no idea art on this plane was being produced in China.

The exhibit runs until June 10.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Vitality said...

Thanks for the tip about the free admission on Thursday. I wanted to check out that exhibit and nothing beats no cost!

May 27, 2007 at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home