Optimistically Cautious

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Exceeding Expectations: Milestone's

During my research for a trip to Vancouver earlier this year, I came across a "Best of" survey in the Georgia Straight weekly that listed the chain Milestone's as the second best place for brunch in the city. Until reading that, I had no idea Milestone's (1708-99 Street) even offered a brunch menu. After perusing their selections online, I decided it would be a nice place for my family and I to take my Mum in celebration of Mother's Day.

I had made reservations a few weeks ago just in case, but it wasn't as busy as I expected it to be on a lovely Sunday morning. With warmer tones, a casual atmosphere, and more family-oriented than the comparable Murrieta's Grill, the decor holds up surprisingly well for brunch, making the most of its high windows and reflective mirrors.

I quite like their menu as a whole, as it contains some interesting takes on traditional weekend fare. Along these lines, I ordered their Italian Sausage Frittata (open faced omelette with fresh garden vegetables, fresh basil, roasted italian sausage, mozzarella and reggiano cheese). My mum opted for the Strawberry French Toast, my Dad chose the Grilled Shrimp California Benedict (in lieu of the Prime Rib Hash that they had "run out of"), and Amanda and Felicia ordered Joe's Special (seasoned ground beef, fresh spinach, sliced mushrooms, scrambled eggs, chipotle catsup, parmesan) and the Californian Omelette (double-smoked bacon, spicy house-made avocado salsa, diced Roma tomatoes, sharp cheddar), respectively.

The food took a while, but besides that, I had no complaints about the service. When our dishes did arrive, though, not only were they beautifully plated (a detail often overlooked by larger chain restaurants), but the portions were huge (the French Toast in particular)! As for my fritatta, I can't fully comment on the taste, as the spicy tomato sauce it was smothered in overpowered the sausage and all other additions to the egg. I suppose this could be likened to the spread I used to dislike on Blue Plate Diner's meatloaf, but have now grown to appreciate, though I would have preferred it sans sauce on the first go-around.

Milestone's isn't by any means an inspired choice for brunch, but it was surprisingly good and definitely exceeded my expectations.

Cozy booth

Italian Sausage Frittata

Strawberry French Toast

Grilled Shrimp California Benedict

Joe's Special

Californian Omelette

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home