Optimistically Cautious

Friday, July 27, 2007

Vegan Charm: Cafe Mosaics

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it's getting more and more difficult to think of restaurants in the city that I have a desire to try. Still, when pressed for an eating establishment near the Varscona Theatre where Mack and I were heading after dinner, I remembered the easily-missed Cafe Mosaics (10844 82 Avenue) on the west side of Whyte. Annie and Anna had both spoken highly of it, so I figured it was worth a visit.

The decor reminded me of the boutique Nokomis next door with its soft pastel walls, twinkly lights, funky art and stylishly mismatched furniture. Overall, its vibe was reminiscent of Blue Plate Diner without the urban pretentiousness.

The vegetarian menu at Cafe Mosaics contained quite a few tempting choices, even offering all day breakfast selections. I was in the mood for pasta, so opted for the cheese ravioli served with garlic toast, while Mack decided to test their version of grilled cheese.

Our food, healthy portions of home-cooked comfort, arrived after a short wait. The ricotta-parmesan filling in my ravioli pockets was delicious, as was the sweet tomato sauce that topped my dish. Mack similarly enjoyed his sandwich, claiming the inability to reproduce such a product at home.

With good food, service, and a great dining atmosphere, I'd say Cafe Mosaics did quite well on the critical restaurant checklist. I will definitely be back!

Restaurant interior

Menu (with a revolver on the cover. No idea.)

Cheese Ravioli and Garlic Toast

Grilled Cheese and Fries

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home