Optimistically Cautious

Thursday, August 02, 2007

2007 Live & Let Fringe: the Countdown Begins!

Only two weeks left until the 26th annual Fringe kicks off! I picked up my program today, and have already had a cursory glance at this year's lineup. Belke's back (was there ever any question?), there is no doubt The Power of Ignorance will sell out again, there are a surprising number of burlesque shows, and I am very happy to see that some of my stage favorites (namely, Davina Stewart, Leona Brausen and Matt Alden) will be making an appearance at the festival.

Back in April, Executive Director Julian Mayne announced that an on-line ticketing system would be used this year. At the time, I wasn't sure if this technology would translate into higher ticket sales, and I guess we won't know until the final numbers are in. However, I think the 100% advance ticket release policy will make it even more difficult to get into the "hot" shows near the end of the festival. In the past, plays that garnered a four or five star rating typically sold out of its advance tickets, but by lining up at the venue, there was still a chance of purchasing one of the 25% of the tickets held at the door. I don't want to speak too soon, but this new policy potentially gives even more power to mainstream reviewers, something many in the Fringe community are wary of.

I've played with the new website a little since it went live this afternoon, and it isn't a bad first version. I'm sure I'll have more to say once I use it to actually order tickets.

I can't wait!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home