Optimistically Cautious

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Cooking Chronicles: White Chocolate Mousse with Berries

This article from the Globe and Mail and this one from the New York Times both capture how I felt coming up to Super Tuesday. After a mini "Primary Party" held on the day of the New Hampshire primary, I had been planning on having a "Super Tuesday Shindig" (hee) for some time, even if it were just me in attendance.

While I wish I was as creative as some of the party hosts mentioned in the articles (a drink named Barack's HOPE, or even better, Clinton sausage ball appetizers), I thought a dessert made using the colors of the American flag would be a nice touch.

Donna Hay's Instant Cook provided the recipe - White Chocolate Mousse with Berries. Resembling Panna Cotta more than what I usually regard as mousse, the only difference between the two recipes was the addition of white chocolate and the subtraction of honey. The mousse was also a lot faster to put together - both in stove top and necessary cooling time (only 45 minutes!).

Because of the chocolate, the mousse was slightly heavier (even though I halved the chocolate quantity by accident...). The use of frozen blueberries was also a bad idea; the juice seeped from them when I thawed them in the fridge, leaving them rather bland tasting.

While I received neutral feedback for the dessert, my family and Mack all commented that they much prefer Panna Cotta. Perhaps I will play with this recipe in the future; it would function as a great last minute dinner dessert, and could easily set while dinner is being served.

White Chocolate Mousse with Berries

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home