Optimistically Cautious

Monday, March 24, 2008

The Cooking Chronicles: Buttermilk Biscuit Sandwiches

Before my string of cooking experimentations, I was quite used to biscuits made from dry mix. Just recently, I found out how much better from-scratch, cold butter-incorporated biscuits are. Ina Garten's Cheddar-Dill version turned out great, and this afternoon, Mack and I decided to give Bobby Flay's Buttermilk Biscuits a try.

I gave Mack the most difficult job of creaming the butter with the dry ingredients, and then having to try to form a ball of dough with the small amount of buttermilk we were permitted to wet the mixture with. I will admit to cheating a little and adding slightly more milk than called for in the recipe, but who wouldn't? Also, because we had the intention of forming sandwiches out of our biscuits, we used a 3 inch circular cutter instead of the recommended 2.5 inches to allow for a more hearty serving.

Scooping up slices of chicken breast and shredding some marble we had sitting in the fridge, our sandwiches were born (we considered scrambling eggs briefly as well, but by then, we just wanted to assemble and eat them). The biscuits were flaky and crunchy, just the way I like them, though really, with the butter content, this recipe is almost fail safe.

I'd be interested in playing with different filling combinations (basil/buffalo mozzarella/tomato, crushed fruit), and making this recipe a weekend breakfast standby.

Buttermilk Biscuits with Smoked Chicken and Marble Cheese

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say I'm impressed at how well-trained Mack is now. Well done indeed!

March 24, 2008 at 11:27 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I wouldn't claim to say I "trained" him; he can hold his own in a kitchen pretty well!

March 25, 2008 at 7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww thanks ;)

March 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home