Optimistically Cautious

Friday, March 21, 2008

The Cooking Chronicles: Beatty's (Spotted) Chocolate Cake

I was feeling uncharacteristically uninspired this week in choosing a dish for a potluck with a few friends of mine. Lately, I seem to work better with parameters of some kind, whether it be the need for portability, a dish theme, or a color ideal.

I decided finally to browse the Food Network site to see if anything would strike my fancy, and came across an Ina Garten recipe for chocolate cake. It seemed straightforward enough, and as I still hadn't found a suitable "statement cake" for my dessert party (I wasn't happy with how my tiramisu turned out a few weeks ago), I thought it could be a potential candidate.

I enlisted Mack's help as my sous chef (hee), and we plodded through the recipe using a KitchenAid stand-up mixer. I typically prefer combining ingredients by hand, and after this go-around, I found it wasn't necessary to use the mixer at all.

We didn't have any trouble with the cake portion of the recipe (except perhaps knowing to forgo the parchment paper lining next time), but the icing was another story. By the time the baking chocolate had cooled to room temperature, some of it had actually hardened, thus streaking our icing with chocolate chunks. "Spotted" in the title refers to the overall appearance of our cake, though even I must admit our mistake made for a textured icing that garnered no complaints.

The cake turned out moist, and the mocha-flavoured icing was something I'd definitely make again. My Mum commented that the cake wasn't too sweet (translation: she liked it), and all of my friends had seconds at the potluck. Have I found a dessert party winner?

Mack learning how to flour a cake pan

Beatty's Chocolate Cake

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I had a bit of your cake that you gave me to take home. Your mom is right; it's not too sweet. For a chocolate cake (which I usually don't like), it was pretty good.

April 7, 2008 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

April 9, 2008 at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home