Optimistically Cautious

Monday, April 09, 2007

The Cooking Chronicles: Strawberry Scones

I've always been a fan of scones, but I've never before attempted a from-scratch recipe without the aid of Bisquick. After seeing Ina Garten's Strawberry Scones on Barefoot Contessa, however, I figured it was time to give it a try.

Besides choosing to use a pastry blender over my KitchenAid mixer, and substituting milk for the heavy cream, I followed the recipe word for word (though really, in the face of 3/4 pound of butter, what's a little cream?). For the additive, I used a small package of dried strawberries I had bought on a recent trip to Vancouver.

The scones baked up very quickly, browning at 12 minutes instead of the suggested 20. And because of the mass quantity of butter, the dough resembled flaky pastry more than what's typically expected from a breakfast biscuit. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the dried strawberries, however, as they're slightly chewier than I originally expected. I think I'd much rather use frozen blueberries or perhaps dried cranberries and a hint of orange zest next time (the latter being Garten's idea). I did really enjoy the sweetness provided by the dash of sugar on top though - it transforms the scone into a treat in itself.

These strawberry scones would make a lovely tea time indulgence, and really are worth the extra effort!

Strawberry Scones

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home