Optimistically Cautious

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Notes on the Fringe

  • Frequent and Double Fringer passes sold out ahead of last year, reported Metro today. It no doubt has to do with the fact that for the first time ever, the passes can be used to purchase advance tickets. I myself bought a Frequent Fringer pass, committing myself to ten shows. But considering the savings of $4 per ticket, it is unbelievably worthwhile.
  • I did experiment with the new online box office, and I am not impressed. I not only had error messages preventing me from logging in, but also, when I did get to the purchase screen, I found that I was only given the option of buying one accompanying ticket per show. I resorted to falling back on ordering tickets over the phone. Somehow it's more reassuring to speak to a representative anyhow.
  • Reviews from the Winnipeg Fringe and the Saskatoon Fringe are available, including those that rated five stars in the Winnipeg Free Press and Saskatoon's 10 best. I'm annoyed that TJ Dawe didn't get a slot in Edmonton's festival - Maxim & Cosmo sounds like it would have been a riot.
  • In addition to watching Die-Nasty for this first time this year, I also think it's about time I attempted a deep-fried twinkie. And after reading the description gleaned from the New York Times as referenced on that Wikipedia page...well, you'll see: "Something magical occurs when the pastry hits the hot oil. The creamy white vegetable shortening filling liquefies, impregnating the sponge cake with its luscious vanilla flavor. . . The cake itself softens and warms, nearly melting, contrasting with the crisp, deep-fried crust in a buttery and suave way. The piece de resistance, however, is a ruby-hued berry sauce, adding a tart sophistication to all that airy sugary goodness." Whoo.
See you there!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Parsons said...

I'm not happy at all with this new system. To be paying an agency fee overtop of the prices . . . this will hurt the festival for sure.

The shows that are rated 2.5 to 3.5 will be the plays hurt the most. Previously people would see a review and think "I hear its Ok" and they may end up going as it was affordable and convenient to get a ticket.

Not this year . . . my money will go for the ones that have been rated high and Im not going to spend $14 on "eh" or "sigh". I dont believe Ill be "sampling" - not cost effective . . . and I love plays . . . sigh

Im on rant . . . Ill finish there. viva la revolution!

August 16, 2007 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I hear ya, Doug. It is the average shows and the amateur companies with no big name stars that will suffer.

Let me know what you recommend. Or better, yet, blog about it!

August 17, 2007 at 12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home