Optimistically Cautious

Friday, September 07, 2007

Sub-standard Storefront: Moon Garden Restaurant

Since the "Opening Soon" sign had been put up in the window, I was curious about the new Vietnamese restaurant Moon Garden that would be inhabiting the old Zenari's space downtown (10117 101 Street). Though I now know that the establishment is merely a second location and not a brand new endeavor, I was still keen on trying their pho at some point.

Tonight, I met Dickson there for a quick dinner. As soon as I sat down, the waitress brought me a complimentary spring roll. It was free, so I can't complain much, but it had obviously been refried, as the wrapper a tad too crispy for my liking. I ordered (surprise, surprise), the beef noodle soup with medium sliced beef, and green onion cakes to start.

The dining room is small but functional, with the open kitchen inhabiting part of the space. Dickson said that Tokyo Express had taken a gander at the storefront property, but ultimately decided against gambling on a dinner crowd that could not be guaranteed. With only four other tables occupied over the course of our stay, I'd say Moon Garden is facing what Tokyo Express had anticipated.

The green onion cakes resembled Pagolac's, but were strikingly without flavour and nearly devoid of green onions. Shortly after, our entrees arrived, but without the standard side serving of bean sprouts, mint, and limes. I was also disappointed with the absence of cilantro in my soup. In the end, although the pho as a whole wasn't terrible (there was a fair amount of sliced beef and noodles included), given the choice, I'd head to Pagolac or Doan's any day.

Green onion cakes

Pho with medium sliced beef

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Vitality said...

I went there on Thursday night and it we were the only table but still received bad service! We didn't have Vietnamese food; more like Chinese. It tasted not bad, but I think next time I'd go for the vermicilli bowl.

September 10, 2007 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I didn't find the service horrible; it just wasn't great. The waitress didn't come by to do the cursory, "How is your food tasting so far?" check, but somehow, I didn't mind.

Let me know if they're any better next time!

September 11, 2007 at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home