Optimistically Cautious

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Notes on Food

  • Mr. Mike's Steakhouse & Bar is now open in West Edmonton Mall! Strange I haven't really seen it mentioned in any of the local papers.

  • Bettina pointed out a unique alternative to flowers and candy - Edible Arrangements! While they may not last as long as a bouquet, they are certainly beautiful to look at. They are on the pricey side, but I'd be open to taking the idea and making up single-stem pineapple/melon flowers myself. They'd be perfect as takeaway gifts to give following a baby shower or spring dinner party.

  • Original Fare has introduced gift cards! Valid at 17 independent Edmonton-area restaurants, I can't think of a better present for your epicurean friends.

  • Starbucks has been promoting a campaign of culinary coffee pairings, going the route of wine. Though I like the education aspect of it, it's also a clever way to try and upsell their pastries. I did sample the Chocolate Cinnamon Bread the other day (though with tea and not alongside the recommended coffee), and it was surprisingly bland. Perhaps I'll eat it with its "other half" next time.

  • Also on Starbucks - did anyone notice how quickly the stores cycled through their drinks this summer? From Raspberry to Orange to Blueberry Frappuccinos and Iced Teas, and now to their Fall Pumpkin Spiced Latte...I felt it was a bit too much, too soon, going against their marketed ideal for the summer of relaxing and just enjoying life.

  • I stopped by Essence Organic Tea Bar (10011 102 Ave) on Friday, and had their Java Lat-tea (I will admit the pun made me smile). It's actually better than a very similar drink I had at Blendz in Vancouver, and though perhaps mainly psychological, it felt healthier than a cup of joe. I hope their business picks up - it was completely empty during my visit.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home