Optimistically Cautious

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Music: Norah Jones's "Not Too Late"

I've been listening to Norah Jones's third CD, Not Too Late, for just over a week, and I'm happy to say that I am appreciating it more over time.

I loved her debut album, Come Away With Me, with its sultry and sumptuous ballads, and really disliked her second, country-tinged release, Feels Like Home, so I was a bit apprehensive with this new CD. Though not untouched by country ("Sinkin' Soon" and "My Dear Country"), there are enough jazz and blues numbers to balance out the remainder of the disc.

My favorites so far include the first single, "Thinking About You," (which has one of the oddest videos I've seen to date), the mellow "Rosie's Lullaby," and the strikingly nostalgic "Until the End" (I may be musically off, but the song transports me back to the 50s, all twilight and lavender, innocence at a high school dance, and could be perfect for an episode-ending House montage). And as you may have guessed, I lean heavily towards tunes that remind me most of Come Away With Me.

Not Too Late is worth a listen, particularly if you're a Jones fan, or want to give a new incarnation of the blues and jazz a try.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good CD, that's for sure.

How come you're so mortified that I know you have a blog?

February 18, 2007 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I just wanted to contain the readership for as long as possible, kept to those who I explicitly told. Yes, I'm a bit of a control freak that way.

February 19, 2007 at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home