Optimistically Cautious

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Quaint but Mild: 9th Street Bistro

Dickson and I went to 9th Street Bistro (9910-109 Street) for dinner last night. About two blocks from my place of work, it was a rather chilly walk with the wind, but we made it. I've eaten at 9th Street on occasion with my workmates, but never for supper.

Reminiscent of Rice Howard Way's Bistro Praha, the decor was old world European - the faded wallpaper, aged wooden tables, and direct but dim pendant lighting created an intimate atmosphere. The menu boasted many mature and healthy selections, but Dickson and I both opted for the day's Quiche Lorraine with a side of fries, and a plate of Fried Zucchini to share.

There were only two other tables, so the food was naturally prompt. The Zucchini was quite good - tender and crisp, the fried morsels made a surprisingly nice appetizer. As for the Quiche - instead of combining the egg with the filling, the cooks layered the swiss and ham on the bottom crust, poured the egg on top, and baked it as is. The result was a dense, heavy layer of egg comparable to a custard. I didn't mind it so much (though I now know how much difference parmesan or asiago cheese can make in flavoring baked egg) but Dickson was disappointed, much preferring Urban Diner's version.

So though the restaurant itself is charming in an inoffensive kind of way, I think we may have to shop around some more to find a Quiche we can agree on.

Fried Zucchini

Quiche Lorraine with Fries

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home